Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Painting Alla Prima

                                                                                                   (acrylic 6x6")

This one was a real challenge for me, and I unfortunately ran out of time while I was painting it, as I had to meet friends.  This was my second try to paint this gold plate, and I was happy with the results this time.   I can't remember what else I had in the set-up with this plate the first time I tried to paint it, but it was an absolute disaster.  I was much happier with how the plate came out in this one. 

I definitely see things I would change throughout this painting if I could, but I never touch the small paintings again once I pull them off the easel and clean up.  Somehow, changing them doesn't feel right.  It's almost like they are not mine to work on any longer.  I think because I'm in such a state of concentrated consciousness when I am painting, each color mixture flows from the next.  Now, they don't always flow as I wish they would flow, but at least while I'm in the throes of the painting, I have an idea of where each mixture that worked and where each mixture that didn't work came from.  I don't feel I could jump back into the same state later.  I feel I should start a new painting of the same object and try again.

(For those non-artists in the group, creating a painting in one sitting only is called Alla Prima)


5 comments:

ME said...

Good morning. I just love how you make it appear like you can actually put something in the teapot. Really nice to read about your feelngs about your work too.

Meredith Adler said...

Thanks, ME. I mean....Mom. I'm so glad you are enjoying the blog.

Hank Buffington said...

Welcome to blogging! Your paintings look great Meredith. You have a nice use of color. Don't worry about painting every day. Some people can make that work with their schedule. I can't. Keep painting. People are watching! :)

Meredith Adler said...

Hey Hank! Thanks for the welcome and for visiting my blog. The compliment means a lot, too, coming from you. Ok, Watchers, if you've never seen Hank's blog before, I highly recommend checking it out. He's a fantastic painter, no matter what he is painting, and he has a full record of his plein air painting journey documented on his blog. He paints equally well in oils and acrylics and shares openly what he learns about the technical aspects of using both in all kinds of weather. His blog is highly entertaining, and he cracks me up, even sometimes when I think he isn't trying to be funny. Obviously, I cannot say enough...

Now, for those of you new to this blogging thing, you should be able to get to his blog by clicking on his name above or by using the link I have on the right side of my blog under Art Blogs and Sites.

carol edan said...

I think I missed this lovely painting!!! Love your negative spaces,the variegation of the gold coloring.. all simple and effective!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...