Monday, January 26, 2015

Oil Pastel Version of "Long Hair" - 30 Paintings in January 2015

Oil Pastel, 7x5"

I'm repeating myself!  This is the Oil pastel version of the painting I did yesterday using Acrylics.  I am trying to rule-out/rule-in methods and materials I want to continue with, and one way to differentiate was to repeat this painting using the Oil Pastels.  I did sort of make it hard on myself by painting from the first painting rather than from the reference photo.  Since OP's give such different effects than Acrylics, I ended up having to make some Oil Pastel "moves" in order to find resolution to this painting--different than what it took in Acrylics.

I should have mentioned yesterday, I was happy with what I did with the painting because I used the reference photo only as a suggestion for composition and value.  The colors in these paintings are nothing like the reference photo, the setting is completely different (made up/abstracted) in the paintings.  I truly feel more satisfied as an artist when I feel I'm creating rather than copying a photo.  Maybe that's why yesterday's process was more satisfying than today's...

Everyone, please take care, try to get good sleep, and remember to uplift each other...


6 comments:

carol edan said...

" I truly feel more satisfied as an artist when I feel I'm creating rather than copying a photo. "
That's the way it should be... yes I agree with you should have done it from the reference not the painting... hey,,, you can alsways do a third!!!!LOL

Fay Terry said...

One of my favorites, Meredith! I love hearing about your process and your reasoning.

Sharon L. Graves said...

this is so cool. everything is perfect, perspective, color, form, everything.

Susan said...

To me, this one has more energy than the acrylic version. Lots more color going on. I like them both, but there's something about the first one that keeps calling me back. Good job, Meredith!!

Meredith Adler said...

Thank you, everyone! It really means a lot to have you all here, and thanks for the compliments!

Bhavani said...

I love both versions. Hard to choose. I love the brushwork and looseness of the acrylic. The vibrant colors stand out in the OP version.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...